February 1, 2009

David

When I hear a slight semblance
of your name, I shake inside,
trying to hold back the ocean in my heart.
There are barricades around my mind
that flare at any memory
that could be roused
at any given moment.
A slight tremor can
be heard in my voice
when you’re the topic
of conversation,
but only I can hear it.
There are few distinct memories of you,
so I snatch at the ones I can,
like sand silently slipping from my grasp.
I can hear your voice sometimes,
quietly guiding my thoughts,
and when I hear it,
I do everything I can
to sweetly suffocate in your voice,
smothering everything in your deep tenor
that hums in every core of my mind.
I’d trade blood and bone
for one last embrace
so that I can finally say goodbye;
and tell you
I love you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment